Cassandra Clare, real name Judith Rumelt, is an American best-selling author who wrote the young adult series collectively known as The Shadowhunter Chronicles. She, along with Holly Black, is co-author of The Magisterium series.
Cassandra Clare was born to American parents in Tehran, Iran. As a child, Clare traveled frequently, spending time in France, England, and Switzerlandand before she was ten years old. Since her family moved around so much she found familiarity in books and went everywhere with a book under her arm. She spent her high school years in Los Angeles where she used to write stories to amuse her classmates, including an epic novel called “The Beautiful Cassandra” based on a Jane Austen short story of the same name (and which later inspired her current pen name).
After college, Cassie split her time between California and New York where she worked as a journalist at various entertainment magazines and tabloids, including the Hollywood Reporter. She started working on her YA novel, City of Bones, in 2004, inspired by the urban landscape of Manhattan, her favorite city. She turned to writing fantasy fiction full time in 2006.
Cassie's first professional writing sale was a short story called "The Girl's Guide to Defeating the Dark Lord" in a Baen anthology of humor fantasy. Cassie hates working at home alone because she always gets distracted by reality TV shows and the antics of her two cats, so she usually sets out to write in local coffee shops and restaurants. She likes to work in the company of her friends, who see that she sticks to her deadlines.
She is also friends with author Holly Black, and their books occasionally overlap, Clare mentioning characters from Black's novels and vice versa, such as Val and Luis from Black's Valiant. She is also said to be a fan of Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Saga, even making fanfiction for it at one point.
She currently resides in Amherst, Massachusetts, with her husband, Joshua Lewis.
- The Iron Trial (2014)
- The Copper Gauntlet (2015)
- The Bronze Key (2016)
- The Silver Mask (2017)
- The Golden Tower (2018)
- Turn the Other Chick: "The Girl's Guide to Defeating the Dark Lord" (as Cassandra Claire) (2005)
- So Fey: "Charming" (2007)
- Magic in the Mirrorstone: "Graffiti" (2008)
- Vacations from Hell: "The Mirror House" (2009)
- The Eternal Kiss: 12 Vampire Tales of Blood and Desire: "Other Boys" (2009)
- Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd: "I Never" (2009)
- ZVU: Zombies Versus Unicorns: "Cold Hands" (2010)
- Welcome to Bordertown: "The Rowan Gentleman" (with Holly Black) (2011)
- Steampunk! An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories: "Some Fortunate Future Day" (2011)
- Cassandra Clare's site
- Cassandra Clare's LiveJournal blog
- Cassandra Clare on Facebook
- Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- Cassandra Clare on Goodreads